The Hudson Public Library has been a part of the Southeast Weld County community since 1951. Nestled in Hudson on the Eastern Plains of Colorado, we serve a growing community with a wide range of educational, informational, and entertaining programs and services.
hudson public library
Mrs. Louis Casserotti and the Paul Gregg Pony Club founded the Hudson Public Library in honor of 12-year-old anita Jeanetter Casserotti who died after falling off a horse.
Pepper Pod donated a small storage building for the library. After painting, cleaning, and minor construction, the library was dedicated June 6, 1951. Our first collection was curated from a 500-book donation by Mr. Fishback of Denver and from a Girl Scout Troop in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
Our board of directors was established.
The Town of Hudson voted to support the library.
The Town Hall building, at 609 Cedar Street, just off the main road, was purchased and housed both the library and Town Hall. Not only did the building serve dual purposes, the Town Clerk also serves as the Town Librarian.
Our library was one of the founding members of the Weld Library District, which later become the High Plains Library District. The library expanded into one section of the stucco triplex building owned by Mr. George Kennedy (currently owned by High Plains Engineering).
The Hudson Public Library bought the middle section of the stucco triplex to house a growing collection of books and resources.
The traditional card catalog was replaced by the early iteration of MyLibrary.us. We received a grant from CSU that allowed us to use barcodes on library items instead of stamping cards. We were also given access to InterLibrary Loan items.
We purchased the remaining section of the stucco triplex building, renovating it inside and out.
Renovations on the stucco triplex building were completed.
Following growth in the community, the board of directors began looking for land to purchase to build a larger library facility to accommodate our growing collection, staff, and programming offerings. Funds for the new library came from oil and gas revenues. Gene Andrews sold part of his family's farm ground for the new library.
Construction complete, the new library facility is dedicated to the community.
"the library, a treasure chest of words to teach, entertain, and challenge"
ellen korthuis, former Board member
Hudson Library Board
The Hudson Library Board of Trustees is compiled of members from the RE3-J community. This board guides and directs the library as it serves the entire service area. Regular board meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month at 5:00pm. These meetings are open to the public.